Sunday, March 22, 2009

This Saturday, instead of doing sports outside or watching TV at dorm I became a Chinese teacher once.
In the community where my aunt and uncle live, there are a few Chinese American kids who were born in America. Although their parents are Chinese for what reason they ought to speak Chinese quite well, the result is actually disappointing. Those children feel weird to speak a different language when they contact residents in the community. They do not know how useful a second language can be and refuse to use it. As a result, their Chinese are poor. To make a change, a Chinese class is set up.
On Saturday, my aunt who is the teacher of the class took me to join into the class and teach them how to pronounce correctly and speak fast. The day before Saturday I chose to teach them a tongue twister. Because in tongue twister many words sounds alike and saying tongue twister can practice the clearance and speed of people. In the class I wrote down the tongue twister and added phonetic symbols on the blackboard and taught them to pronounce words one by one. With practice time after time, eventually most of the students can say this tongue twister clearly and fast.
I never thought about teaching somebody a language. It is interesting but also challenging. It is pretty much like a test to test my own literacy in this language.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I am a Chinese student in Vienna. I happened to see your site and this poem. There was a very good translation, which won a top prize in 'Crazy English'. It started as:

    How can I make you meet me,
    At the time of my beauty,
    For this
    I have prayed before the Buhdda
    for half a centry...

    Only want to share with you :-)
    Good luck with your practise in English

    violette1986@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete