Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Blooming Tree

In my Chinese class in high school, my teacher said, “poetry is the most ancient form and most essential constituent of literature and poetry is full of emotion. If you are capable of judging poetry and interpret poetry, then you do get the essence of literature and have high literacy skills.” From then on, I have done a lot work to practice. Among all the poems I read, following is my favorite one and my interpretation:
A Blooming Tree (translated edition)
How to let you meet me
At my most beautiful moment
For this I prayed Buddha for 500 hundred years
To be bestowed a relationship with you on this earth .
So Buddha makes me a tree
Growing by the road you bound to take
Blossoming cautiously and flourishing under sun lignt.
Each blossom an expectation of my previous life
When you approach
Please listen
The trembling leaves are the passion of my waiting.
But when at last you walk past unseeing
What scattered on the ground behind you
Oh, my friend
It is not petals But my withered heart
This poem is about a young lady who falls in love with a man. Just at the very beginning the young lady expresses her emotion and feeling. Love is a kind of feeling which you cannot force to have or cast away. To love or not to love is not a choice. It is a spark in an instant which you cannot choose to see it or not. Eventually, the man evidently says no to the girl. Those petals scattered on the ground are like the girl’s heart. Although he heart is hurt, the love is rather pure, vivid and eternal.

1 comment: