Saturday, March 21, 2009

My Math Literacy

When I was in China, I did not find my literacy in computing is so outstanding. Before coming here, I was impressed the first time when I took Math Placement Exam of MSU. At first I imagined that this exam was so important for placement so it must be rather difficult. I even spent two days to prepare for it. Finally the exam turned out to be quite easy that most materials it covered were learned before 7th grade and it only took me 15 minutes to finish it.
Just a few days before class began, I left home for the school. After check in, I went to different stores to buy things for daily use and books for the classes. I remembered that all the purchases cost $29.41 in total. I handed the cashier 30 dollars. When I was looking for one penny, the cashier already typed 30 in the computer, and it computed then showed 59 cents back. At the same time I found one penny and gave to him, he took it and looked at the computer screen thinking for quite a few second. I realized that he was doing calculation. It was so easy to find how many cents he should give me back—I gave him one more penny and he should give one more cent and that is 60 cents. Eventually he got the answer and gave me change. I was impressed the second time.
The third time occurred in MTH132 class. When the teacher congratulate me on high scores in the first exam, students seated around me felt it unbelievable and all looked at me and it was uncomfortable.
No matter when and where, math literacy is such an important ability and I am proud I have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment