Monday, March 23, 2009

Slangs and Idioms

Ability to speak is recognized as a most fundamental element of literacy by the public. You may even not be able to read or write in the language. In the area whose literacy rate is low people can speak at least.
Knowing large numbers of slangs and idiom could definitely be considered as an asset of literacy. Slangs and idioms make spoken language vivid, fluent and exaggerated. When people speak in an informal occasion they prefer to use slangs. In daily life, I often use slangs and idioms when talking with my friends and families in Chinese and I manage to use quite a lot. There are some examples.
1. People mountain people sea (a large crowd of people) When it is Thanksgiving, I always describe the malls as people mountain people sea.
2. You ask me, I ask who? (How should I know?) Any when others ask a question know do not know you could say the expression.
3. Good good study, day day up! (Work hard, and someday it will pay back.) This expression is used to encourage students to study hard.
After all Chinese are my mother tongue, so I am at home in Chinese. There is still pretty much to improve in oral English. And later I will work on rich slangs and idioms in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment