Saturday, March 21, 2009

Literacy--Net words

From quite a few years ago, the Internet has become one of the most important means to obtain information and news. Also it has become the most common way to communicate with others which take the first place of phone calls and letters. In just a short time of period, a great lot of software and programs were made and developed. For conveniences and concision, net friends create a large number of new nouns to define specific things and adjectives to describe things. Besides, shortened words are also made. As a result, I must create and develop my literacy of net words. The process of learning net words is interesting. Everyday when I surf the Internet I will pay attention to those new words that I never met before and search for their meanings. Gradually I understood quite many net words and also used them frequently. Following are tow of the words that I newly learned and use from then: 1. 山寨(copycatting) This Chinese term literally refers to the mountain strongholds of bandits. First borrowed to describe rip-off products, it has evolved to refer also to homemade products, such as video parodies of movies. 2. 囧(be sunk/sunken) This is an ancient Chinese character, pronounced jiong. It means “light shining through a window”. Young Chinese use it to express embarrassment, or a bad mood. Look at the character. Doesn’t it look like a disappointed face?
Actually I am thinking about making my own new net words someday. Till then my literacy of net words could be said to be at high rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment