Sunday, April 26, 2009

How to Tame a Wild Tongue

In How to Tame a Wild Tongue, the author’s main idea is to teach us that be who we are. At first, the author was ashamed that she did not speak good American because of her Spanish accent. However later she just let go of her shame because she was able to understand it was more important to be who you are. She even used new invented dialects. These languages were neither proper Spanish nor standard English. There are mixed with English and Spanish. Using this new language, the author embraced her culture. To the author, being Mexican is a frame of mind; it is culture which is in your soul, not the birth place or nationality.
This essay gives me a great lesson. Now though I live in America, eat American food and speak English, I should not forget my culture but more I should take pride of it. It is our culture shapes who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment